“Camping Select” is an industry led, consumer sensitive rating program, developed for the purpose of providing the travelling and vacationing public with nationally consistent campground standards.
Camping Select” is a campground rating program that reflects the needs of the consumer. It provides the travelling public with a consistent and reliable rating standard that is nationally compatible and comparable.
Participation in “Camping Select” is a good business decision for owner/operators and their campers. Camping Select is an industry driven, consumer sensitive rating programs. It provides the travelling and vacationing public with a nationally consistent standard of quality within the camping sector.”
Camping Select star ratings indicate to the travelling and vacationing public that the property is rated using nationally consistent rating criteria.
How was Camping Select developed?
The Camping Select Rating Program was developed during 1994 and 1995 in the Atlantic Provinces with the cooperation of government agencies and the campground industry. In 2000 and 2001 pilot projects were conducted in Western Canada which showed its viability for use in all regions in Canada. As a result Campgrounds • Campings Canada (CCC), the national campground organization comprised of the provincial campground associations, adopted the Camping Select Rating Program as its national rating program.
The rating program was developed from extensive consumer research combined with continued dialogue with the camping industry and is designed to meet consumer expectations at various star levels. In excess of 300 camping properties contributed to the original development program, by allowing on-site visitations. Canada’s new national program has continued to develop, and will expand to include campgrounds in all provinces across the country.
What are the benefits to the travelling and vacationing public?
Camping Select national rating standards provide consistent, reliable information to the travelling and vacationing public on what to expect from a camping accommodation – “no surprise is the best surprise”.
If you are seeking clean comfortable campgrounds without the extras, one star ratings are what you could be looking for. Two and three star properties offer a mid-range standard of campground facilities or recreation with various services and amenities. If you want campgrounds offering the greatest range of services, amenities, recreation or facilities, the four and five star campgrounds are the more appropriate choice. Higher star levels are achieved as Facilities, Services, Quality, Amenities and Recreational activities and services increase. In general, the more stars, the greater the range of facilities, services, recreation, amenities, and the higher the quality of those facilities.
Do I have to participate in Camping Select ?
No – Camping Select is a voluntary program for owners / operators in New Brunswick, who feel a national star rating is a valuable marketing tool.
What are the benefits of “Camping Select” to the Owner/Operator?
Camping Select properties receive a certificate, outdoor signage and a Standards Graphics Manual to incorporate into marketing materials such as brochures, display advertising and websites. Camping Select star ratings indicate to the traveling and vacationing public that the property is rated using nationally consistent rating criteria. For more information and details please visit www.campingselect.ca
Extensive Advertising and Promotional campaigns inform consumers of the “Camping Select” program. Star ratings are published, with the operators consent, in provincial tourism literature, providing participating properties international and domestic exposure as preferred properties.
- Fosters general industry improvement
- Evaluation and rating of properties ensures minimum standards and stimulates improvements. Each participant receives a comprehensive Establishment Maintenance Report outlining concerns relating to cleanliness and state of repair.
- Inspections are conducted by nationally certified Senior Rating Advisers.
- Provides effective management tool by thoroughly evaluating cleanliness and state of repair. The Camping Select evaluations allow owners / operators to use the outcome of the evaluation as a management tool to train and educate staff.
- Prerequisite for Camping Select Rating
- Each property wishing to participate with the Camping Select Accommodation Rating Programs must comply with all municipal, provincial and federal regulations. Cleanliness and state of repair are important aspects of the rating program.
- The rating advisers conduct thorough evaluations in these areas.
- An allowance for deficiencies in cleanliness and state of repair is built into the evaluation. Properties which exceed this allowance automatically become unrateable until the deficiencies have been addressed.
How can I participate in Camping Select?
We would be happy to arrange for a rating evaluation. A rating adviser will visit your property, explain the criteria and conduct the evaluation.
- How often is a property inspected?
ExperienceSelectNB conducts property inspections on a biennial basis, provided the property has no infractions or complaints. Inspections are carried out unannounced, at any time during the season of operation.
How do I upgrade my rating?
If requested, the rating adviser reviews the evaluation, determines the services, amenities, or improvements in quality the owner / operator could make to reach the next star level, and provides the owner / operator with a written upgrade report. The rating report is available upon request and is not automatically prepared. Information contained in any inspection report is confidential and is available only to the owner / operator. Please contact ExperienceSelectNB to discuss consultative services, including rating reports, upgrade reports, plan reviews or on-site preliminary visits. A fee may apply.
Who Conducts the Evaluation?
Professional, extensively trained and nationally certified Rating Advisers are employed to conduct the evaluations. The National Occupation Standard for Rating Advisers has been developed in conjunction with the Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council and is used as the basis for training programs. The certification process – including written examinations, work assessments and audits, is available on a national basis.
Once a property has been categorized, it is evaluated for physical quality of the property, content of facilities, services and amenities provided. All properties, regardless of their star level, must also meet stringent cleanliness and state of repair guidelines.
How are Campgrounds Rated?
Campgrounds are evaluated by measuring the extent of the following items, areas and services:
Facilities & Services
- Facilities: Entrance – Store – Rest Rooms – Roadway/Grounds – Sewage disposal – Hookups (electrical, water, and sewerage)
- Services: Security – Registration – Laundry – Food or Beverage – Firewood;
- Quality: The quality of the construction of the buildings, equipment, or amenities for use by the consumer while on-site.
- Water activities (pool, beach, wading pool, slides, etc.)
- Recreation activities (tennis, horseback riding, golf, horseshoes, fishing, play areas, games, motorized activities, etc.)
- Recreation buildings, games room, recreational programming.
How much does participation in the program cost?
Contact us for detailed information on the Camping Select Rating Program